Q & A

Temporary Visitor entry status, according to Japanese Immigration Law, allows a stay in Japan of 15 days or 90 days for "sight-seeing, etc." If you apply for a "stay for sight-seeing" when you enter Japan, entry personnel will stamp your passport as "Temporary Visitor," as shown below. *In order to receive or use JAPAN RAIL PASS, your passport must bear this stamp or sticker.

If you enter Japan under any other official status, such as "Trainee," "Entertainer," "Reentry Permit," or " Military (even Veteran)," you cannot exchange the voucher for a JRP. Please note that according to strict interpretation of the Japanese Immigration Law, "Temporary Visitor" status differs even from other types of stay that are also only for short time periods.

A voucher that has not been turned in for a JRP can be returned to IACE office, within one year of the date of issue for a refund. In such case a 10% cancellation fee will be subtracted from the refund. A voucher cannot be refunded if lost, stolen, damaged, or otherwise rendered unusable. IACE will not be responsible for lost, stolen, damaged, or otherwise rendered unusable voucher.

They are not able to use the Japan Rail Pass. Only those entering Japan with a “temporary visitor” visa, valid for 90 days, are eligible for the Japan Rail Pass.